Monday, February 13, 2012

Chemo #1

Friday was the first chemo session. The same regimen as last time with the addition of adriamycin and on Saturday a shot of Neulasta. Saturday and Sunday were hell. Today is better except for the 100 mg of prednisone. I had an allergic reaction 1/2 way through the Rutuxin. It is supposed to fly in under the immune system with the help of benedril but if pushed too fast or not enough benedril it hits the immune system's radar. No problem, stop the infusion add benedril wait 1/2 hour and drive on. I also only received 1/2 of the Rutuxin. So much to know about this business! My CLL causes bulky nodes and Rutuxin works so fast that they were afraid too many cells would be killed and lock up my kidneys. I had a blood test on Saturday and apparently no problem. The nodes on the left side of my neck that were huge and hard are now barely noticeable. Still no change in my eyesight so I guess I'd better get used to only one eye. I need to be careful to avoid potential infectious situations since my whites blood cells are compromised so if you have a cold or are sneezing, I'll be avoiding you, sorry.

I have no idea how I worked through this last time. I guess I really wasn't at my best and no wonder I had problems! Thanks to my wife and daughter for the help and care they are giving me. I couldn't do this without their sacrifices and love! Thanks to my son for staying an extra day on his layover from Akutan after being away from his family for a month! Thanks for prayers and words of encouragement!

2 comments:

  1. I'd congratulate you on helping boost the economy through your spending, but it rings hollow. Glad the family is being such a strong arm of support for you. And you worked through it last time on faith and prayer, coupled with a pretty hefty dose of help from that same family that's taking care of you now.

    You've got the top line on my prayer 'dance card' daily, John...

    ReplyDelete