Sunday, January 18, 2009

Freedom of Choice Act

I was shocked today to read a summary of the Freedom of Choice Act (H.R. 1964, S. 1173). This is an act that completely eliminates any State or Federal laws that impede abortions. Introduced by liberal democrats, my shock is not that it allows a woman the freedom to decide for herself about abortion, my shock is caused by the intended consequences of doctors, nurses or hospitals exercising their consciences not to offer or perform abortions. These folks would be subject to law suits for NOT performing abortions if the health of a mother is allegedly at risk and hospitals would not be allowed to offer ANY medical services if they don't do abortions.

The law if passed by both houses would provide "Freedom of Choice" for pregnant women but not for doctors, nurses, hospitals or other practitioners.

It would strike down the law on partial birth abortion.

It would allow a female of any age to receive an abortion and parents wouldn't be allowed to interfere with the decision of a minor child.

It would force insurance companies to cover abortions.

It would prohibit any future law from being passed that curbs the freedom of choice!
(I doubt this would hold but who knows.)

I respect anyone's right to decide for themselves how they will think, not think, behave, act, not act, live or die. I may not agree and may vigorously express my opinion which I have an equal right to. That said, I can't see how any level headed person would think that absolutely no restrictions on abortion is a good thing or that punishing people and institutions for following their consciences is right and the American way. Provide rights to one group and take away the rights of another. Unequal protection? Where is that in the Constitution?

My personal beliefs aside, I would encourage all readers to become familiar with the Freedom of Choice Act and then take whatever action they think necessary. For myself, I am writing to the Alaska Delegation and asking them to vigorously work to defeat this legislation.

No comments:

Post a Comment